Friday 16 September 2016

Roman Stuffed Dates



In the 'Baláca post' I forgot to mention this yummy dessert. 
Beside reading about history I like to taste it as well, I mean on the plate… I love historical themed restaurants but also at home I like to make some ancient delicacies such as this Roman dates beside the other favourites of mine, the 'Mátyás király húsos erszénye' [a kind of Hungarian meat pie from the court of King Matthias of Hungary /16. century/ I will translate the recipe for you later], English Medieval style beef stew, the Ancient Greek Mullet [we have no mullet here but I make it from other fishes, also tasty] or I like to cook something from my Shakespeare recipe book. Not his recipes of course, but English renaissance and some Elizabeth I court favourites in modern interpretations.

So Romans. Such as the Greeks they preferred the fruity-winey desserts more than just pastries, not like todays people. As for me I like cakes very much but I need fruit, or preserved fruit or a frozen packed fruit [if it's Winter] with it [and I hate butter cream in cakes… ~Yuck].
This is a very simple recipe, you can make it on any hot days under 10 minutes. Talking about hot days it's September already but the weather is like we are in the Sahara… incredible… I want my Autumn rain!!!!
So I found this recipe when I was 10-11 in a kid's history book
Smash/grind in a bowl [or in a mortar like me] some tea bisquits [or leftover cookies] with walnut. Add a little sweet red wine or 100% red fruit juice. Spice it with ground cinnamon and a little nutmeg/mace as well. Add some slices of apple too cutted into tiny pieces [without apple peels]. Stir the whole. Stuff the pitted dates and put the plate into the fridge for a 15-20 minutes. Enjoy it! [with a glass of wine... *wink*]
Have a nice weekend! Mine will be good I hope. I'm going to go Budapest to see the Modigliani exhibition already. Can't wait!

Good Day!/Szép napot!