Sunday 6 December 2015

Bad Children Beware!

I'm curious about this new "Krampus" movie. I hope it will be what I expect.
At least something fresh for Christmas not again a sirupy red-green-white story about the nothing… ~Hohohowihatethose
And krampuses are living creatures in many European folklore, at first in Styria [Austria]. In the Hungarian folklore they showed up in the end of the XIXth century. We also call them krampusz but here they are mostly two female horned devils [typical line up…] whom help the Hungarian Santa, the Mikulás [came from the Slovakian version Mikuláš, we mean onto Saint Nicholas] or Télapó [the Hungarian kind 'Ded Moroz', Slavic fictional character similar to Father Christmas]. While the Mikulás brings presents for good children, the krapuses bring virgács/silver branches with unopened walnuts to beat and take away the bad ones… ~Hmmm it could be a perfect part-time job for me…

This is my favourite, like a twisted Cupid Haha
[Photos from mtv.co.hu, io9.com, escapistmagazine.com]

Hungarian postcards from the WWI era

[Photos from nagyhaboru.blog.hu]
 
Before 1900, instead of the good old fat Mikulás we had a children terrifying Santa-mixed-with-the-pagan-horned-one or Odin-like dark creature, Miklós/Nicholas with a long chain in his hands… [another kind of educational goal] But this folk tradition lived only in the countryside villages as usually most of the weird traditions...
So when the krampuses appeared in our folklore, the village tradition also changed and that drastic horned Santa with the chain dissapeared…
 
December 6 is the day when Mikulás comes with those devilish girls, not 24 or 25. In the Hungarian folk tradition the little Jesus brings the decorated tree and the presents not Santa. However this whole 'Mikulás tradition' had been changed many times and many ways because of the various political eras along the XXth century… Sounds stupid, huh? But since my childhood the tradition is more or less still the same. Children put their shiny boots in the window at the evening of 6 and the next day they will find small presents and chocolates if they were good along the year… if they were not, they could start praying… Haha

Now, it's not the case with animals of course… My messy bunny, who likes to get into mischief from time to time, always have something tasty anyway… Am I pampering her? Haha
There was a cute book I loved very much in my childhood about two elderly childless couple whom are living in a small house in a garden suburb of Buda [Budapest] with two naughty cats [a grumpy and refined black and a stupid white] and a fumbling dog [Hungarian vizsla]. The cats and the dog are always fighting and pestering each other on very funny ways. At 6th December the cats tell to the dog to put a boot in the window, because Mikulás will bring something tasty for him. That poor dog happily put the owner’s boot in the window and go to sleep to dream about the various presents he will get… meanwhile the two naughty cats catch the Mikulás at that night to tell him, that chocolates are bad for the childrens' teeth, why doesn't he bring some sausages and bacons instead. The Mikulás likes the idea and quickly buys cold cuts in the nearby butcher's. So he put in the dog's boot bacon and others. The cats waits for the Mikulás to pass to take out the cold cuts from the boot to hold a big cat party at the attic… 

Sometimes the original J.Pukki comes to Hungary as well, in Veszprém too, although I never saw him. I met with the Mikulás [who was an annoying old man from this town…] only once. I was about 5 or 6 years old when my father brought me to the local kid center to meet the Mikulás. When it was my turn the Old Fat Man asked me to sing something for everyone. Problem. I loved to sing but not in public. So I was just honest to say him "I don't want to". Then he said loudly: "Disobedient children can't have chocolate." [???] So I said: "Ok, I have got at home anyway, bye." [I meant "F♥♥♥ you" in child language…] Then my father silently brought me home… So this was the first and last occasion I met with "him"… and enough for a lifetime for me… After this I think krampuses are more fun to meet. Haha

Good Day!/Szép Napot!