Wednesday 16 December 2015

Holiday Movie Time

It's Christmas time again. I mean I like Christmas – although nowadays my mood is rather like "Halloween" – but this time of the year is not the same at all without dad. With him the Christmas was always a magical time - and definitely not only from the presents. On our last Christmas with him we just laughed hard on something for hours my Mom and I can't remember at all… Maybe it was something magic in the air to remember…
But life goes on… I try to enjoy Christmas as he always did.

At our home we never hold big parties at Christmas. We liked to celebrate on a cozy and silent way. Personally I prefer watching or reading my childhood favourites with the company of a huge bowl of cookies, popcorn and a big cup of tea and muffle myself up in a warm blanket and try to enjoy the peace for 3 days.

So I prefer more the classic tales and stories, such as Nutcracker, Christmas Carol, Ice Queen, Twelve Months, Blue Bird but there are some modern classics I like as well:

01. The Nightmare Before Christmas – It's on every list of mine, even Easter bunny has a short role in it… Haha
02. A Christmas Carol [1982] - Australian animation. You cannot find this anywhere sadly... I have this on VHS only... It's a pity because it's a very adorable adaptation of the book and the background music is beautiful.
03. A Charlie Brown Christmas - All I need is an abstract dog and 'Frieda-dance'!
04. Twelve Months [1980] - Japanese-Russian animation based on a classic Russian play by Samuil Marshak. Absolute childhood favourite of mine. The play has an earlier Russian adaptation as well, a cartoon from 1956. Also beautiful.
05. Snow Queen [2002] - Athough it's a Hallmark production it's very good. I love the queen's hair...
06. Barbie in the Nutcracker - Laugh if you want I enjoy the Barbie-films, there are much about mermaids and ballet...
07. The Christmas Bunny [2010] - Now this IS a CUTE thing!
08. The Nativity Story [2006] - Probably the only 'Jesus'-film I bear to watch. This is about the nativity but more or less from a historical point of view. 
09. The World Of Peter Rabbit: The Tailor Of Gloucester - Mice of the Day...
10. Illatszertár - a vintage Hungarian TV drama-play. Only in Hungarian.
11. Kwaidan [1964] - It's a Japanese anthology of ghost stories. The second tale is the main point which is about the tale of the Yuki-onna/Snow woman who comes for those travelers whom trapped in snowstorms...
12. The Snow Maiden [1952] - A classical Russian cartoon. It based on the Slavic play by Aleksandr Ostrovsky and the music is from Korsakov's opera "The Snow Maiden". I think those vintage Russian cartoons are more lively than any other Disney films. So fascinating!
13. Twelve Months [1972] - Another version of that play but it's the live-action Russian adaptation. Vintage fantasy movies were much more artistic and inspiring than todays' ones with the piteously much special effects, lame rewrote plot and actors' poor performances... actors? The most is only a good-for-nothing celeb...
14. Tyltyl and Mytyl's Adventurous Journey [1980] - Japanese anime version of Maeterlinck's Blue Bird.
15. Barbie: A Perfect Christmas - I like it and that is that...
16. Tokyo Godfathers - Must see if you missed it! Adorable Japanese anime film about three homeless people and their Christmas adventure on the streets of Tokyo...
17. 8 Women - Now a classic French musical based on the drama play by Robert Thomas, about 8 naughty women and one death [of a man]... Have fun! *wink*
18. A Cosmic Christmas [1977] - short French animation about three aliens who want to know what the Christmas is about. So what it is about then? Ask the French E.T.-s.
19. Yogi's First Christmas - that cute Snagglepuss...
20. Hercule Poirot's Christmas - crime crime crime... What else?

I hope you will find something on my list. They can seem to be boring movies, but not for me and I really can't stand the common 'uproarious-Santa-in-Coca-Cola-red-suit-HohoHo-Joy-to-everyone-and-I-don't-care-if-you-don't-want-it-at-all' and 'giggling and "pranky" Elfs' movies… but what make me to crawl on the wall for sure are the Holiday romantic films... ~Sorry I really can't stand those too. Certainly I'm an alien among my friends and family with my strange movie taste and they always tell me that probably I am the only one on this planet who does not like the "Love, actually"... Am I? I doubt it. The only thing I liked in that film is the housekeeper's tattoo... My friends said then maybe I like that grumpy cat Christmas movie... I don't know... I'm afraid I would feel like I am looking into the mirror... Hahahha
~Oh the "Krampus" movie is totally worth to wach it! I think I haven't laughed this much for a long time…

Happy Watching and Good Day!/Szép Napot!