Tuesday 27 October 2015

Halloween For Loners

Among Hungarian traditional holidays there is no Halloween at all. This thing is very new for us, only 10 years old maybe. We have 'farsang', which is also accompany a costume party, but instead of celebrating the 'coming of winter/darkness' we celebrate the winter's end. But we Hungarians can enjoy anything, so there are Halloween parties as well nowadays but mostly in bigger towns and Budapest. In the countryside we just decorating, carve a pumpkin, the children drawing something in the nursery, adults watch something creepy and so on. I love both, the farsang as well as Halloween.

At Budapest there are some places or bars where they hold costume parties and anyone can go in. I like to dress up non-humanly - and I do not need an occasion for it - and I could enjoy a real Halloween party I think, with funny titled foods, creepy decors, dancing... I just can't feel myself relaxed among strangers and I'm definitely not a cutie-flirty persona neither... I imagine I would be in a costume as weird as hell so noone wants/dares to speak with me... or I would just bring a coffin with myself, put it in a corner, closed myself in it and make two holes so I could watch the scene... [I think I need a therapy or something before it will be too late...] But this is the countryside and my friends are sadly everywhere but Veszprém, so I will just celebrate at home with my flap-eared tubby fluffy thing called bunny again...

I like reading others' movie lists on IMDB. I've found many good movies in this way I never heard of before. So I thought I make my own Halloween lists, maybe someone has the same taste as mine or just find something new for the eerie evening. My taste can be interesting... I love the gory and total creepy Asian horrors, but hate todays western ones because those are too much for my nerves??? [~Yeah I don't understand myself neither...] I only prefer the - little bit artistical - vintage ones from the American horrors.

Simple Movie/Animation Top 10
Nightmare Before Christmas
Clue
The Addams Family [1993]
Frankenweenie [2012]
Dracula [1931]
Practical Magic
Agatha Christie's Poirot: Hallowe'en Party
Beetlejuice
Hocus Pocus
Murder by Death  

Horror Top 10 13 [~Oops.]
The Devil Rides Out
Hausu [classic J-Horror]
Eye of the Devil
Wishing Stairs [K-horror]
The Tomb of Ligeia
The Company Of Wolfs
The Masque of the Red Death
Yoga Hakwon [K-horror]
The Craft
Doll Master [K-horror]
Dr Terror's House of Horror
Suspiria
House on Haunted Hill [1959]

TV series/Anthologies Top 10 13 [~Oops I did it again.]
The Addams Family [1964]
Honto Ni Atta Kowai Hanasi [J-horror]
Hometown Legends [K-horror]
Tales of Terror
Twice Told Tales
Kwaidan [classic J-Horror from 1964]
Spirits of the Dead 
The X-Files [I didn't watch it in the 90's and I regret it totally, now I'm a fan... better late then never] 
R. L. Stine's The Haunting Hour [horror for kids, but I enjoy it]
Nihon no Kowai Yoru [J-horror]
Crooked House [2008]
The Munsters
Gumiho Wehjun [K-horror] [2004]

Book Top 10
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
Kwaidan - Ghost Stories and Strange Tales of Old Japan by Lafcadio Hearn 
anything from Saki
Ring by Koji Suzuki
Perfume by Patrick Suskind
Sleep Pale Sister by Joanne Harris
Woman In Black by Susan Hill
anything from H. P. Lovecraft
Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Good Day!/Szép napot!