Tuesday 15 September 2015

Masterpieces In Veszprem

Bernar Venet is a well-known French conceptual artist, sculptor, painter, theoretic as I read, but I've never heard of him... He exhibited his iron sculptures [looks like a couple of wooden balks] in many countries in the world and now they reached Hungary as well. I just don't understand why Veszprém, why can't they put this exhibition at Budapest where there are much more people whom appreciate modern sculptures more than the people of this little town. Anyway, we can see them on four locations from 18 July to 31 October and Viola Lukács [Who?!] some art historian was the main organiser along with the director of the Veszprém art house [where I learned too], László Hegyeshalmi. He was one of my teacher. Probably they are the only ones here whom know this French gentleman.

On the forum site of Veszprém there were arguings about what are these exactly and why are they here - exactly? ~Oh, What a privilege. But what was the occassion to bring some iron pipes into Veszprém? We heard that previously they had been exhibited in Strasbourg and they were not so popular there. ~Hmm Maybe in Veszprém it will be the same. Here the art scene is about the boring landscape painting [Retired people love it but I hate it. What's the point painting realistic landscapes, there is the camera...], the alphabet art pictures???, the just-wants-to-be-a-modern-interpretation and the installation what you will never know what it is until somebody explains and you just hope that it will be the artist itself, however I never agree with this. I hate these questions myself: So what is it about then? What does this means? What was in your mind at this point? - I would tell it if I want/or know, trust me. Haha - Such as I hated to analize poems in school. What do I care/know what was in the poet's mind. Maybe we say it naively: -I think he is missing his valentine at this line because it sounds romantically and a little bit racy also... [and in real life it was about the poet's sister...] So usually I'm on this opinion but some "artworks" in Veszprém shout for an explanation... Even Delia Deetz's sculptures from "Beetlejuice" are much clearer than some things here sometimes...
There is or was [moved to abroad] only one painter whom I like very much and who was born in the nearby area, Robert Pelles. He lives in America now, but about 16 years ago he had an exhibition here in Veszprém. I was there with my parents. They almost couldn't pull me home. I am a fan of paintings and his artworks were a delicacy for a girl like me who always admired painters with unique style and wanted to be one of them but never had the courage to take a single paintbrush in hand till she was 22... I like his old paintings more, because nowadays he only paints colored shapes and that's all. In the past he painted scenes and portraits as well. His women portraits remind me of Klimt with a hint of Modigliani. Love the square like shapes and other painting textures he uses. He is famous and liked in America, he is in well-known galleries as well, but I miss his small but cosy Hungarian exhibitions...

So back to master Bernar Venet. What do you think about the 'indeterminate lines' or "Metametria"?

[Photos from kozterkep.hu]
"The spiral is an open form, you couldn't understand it without the acceptance of the meaning of the infinity. Venet likes forms which connected to the geometric progression. These works are repeating circles, a magical system what brought to life by mathematic and it's upon us what we can see in them, harmonic rhythms, Bach-fugue mechanism or abyss. ... Standing before the huge, at least two meters high compositions, the eye can see things in them what maybe there aren't at all." - wrote Gabriella Bartuc at veszpremkukac.hu
[Maybe you can see in it the other side of the street!] 

I like the titles and the explain sounds interesting as well but I just really don't know... Contemporary sculpting is not in my interest at all along with matemathic, maybe that is why I don't like them very much. ~Sorry
But something definitely came into mind about them, an old Hungarian phrase: "It is impossible like making an iron hoop from wood." But he made it, so nothing is impossible! Haha

Good Day!/Szép Napot!