Sunday 24 May 2015

I'm A 'Luftmensch'

I find myself on the net again. There is a German/Yiddish word for a strange person like me: luftmensch. It literally means "air person", which suits me well because I'm an Aquarius, a strong air element sign.

Urban Dictionary says [a little bit pejoratively if you ask me]: "The opposite of a materialist, may be the opposite of an achiever too. Someone whose strengths and pursuits are non-practical [may indeed be helplessly handless], not related to any sort of business or worldly gain. May be a shlemihl, may be a useless sort of geek. Is very likely to have an interest in things of the intellect and/or the spirit, art, music and philosophy. May at best be a source of knowledge and wisdom for others, even if an exasperation to those closest to him/her, and indeed himself/herself. For sociological reasons, usually male."

1.      I have business sense although Im a living sleeping person, its not related for me...

2.      Whats a "useless sort of geek" who is "very likely to have an interest in things of the intellect and/or the spirit, art, music and philosophy"?
Im sorry but if there werent any Michelangelo, Leonardo, Socrates, Galileo, Darwin and much much others, who were the 'useless' geeks and social outcasts of their time and everybody would be the same, it would be a very grey and boring planet... Geeky philosophers/inventors/artists are coloring our grey weekdays and helping us to understand each other and the world more, making easier our life with their tech. inventions, relaxing our minds with something beautiful or just simply give us fun. Not belittle them! Who knows who will be the next historical brain or creator. [I dont meant these on those millionaire and hypocrite fake gurus or admired hedonistic musicians with no voice and painters who paint a blob on the canvas and very vain - and 'money man' - from that... etc. My words only for those lonely, penniless but talented outcasts!]

3.      "For sociological reasons, usually male"
Yeah there would be more female philosophers in the past too if... blah blah [But we know our history well, dont we girls?]

In the Hungarian language we simply use the word 'álmodozó' to a person who daydreams and philosophizes on smaller things. Or we use 'fellegekben járó' to someone who totally not on the Earth, he/she is walking among the clouds.

This cute Yiddish children poem is nicer to my kind [I dont know the author]:
"There is a lady in the sky,
she's grazing clouds and kissing birds.
Where did she discover the power to fly?
A magic spell? Teach me the words!
Alas, oh no, it is no spell,
but instead, as truth will tell,
a simple mindset, a unique sense.
That lady there is a 'Luftmensch!'"
[The sky yesterday from my window. Veszprém is a very windy town because it lies in a valley 
- well the most part of it -, so here the sunset is always vivid orange colored.]

Some years ago I wrote a short melancholic tale about a girl who is living among the clouds but wants to live on the Earth among the people. Something I subconsciously expected about myself. I try to translate it in English someday.

Good Day!/Szép Napot!