Sunday 9 October 2016

Korean Vs. Hungarian Chicken Wings

On this weekend I wanted to make something from my favourite dishes to cheer myself up as I can after this sad and long week… so I chose Korean this time. Their gastronomy is somewhat similar to ours in one thing for sure, they eat pickles to almost every dish. I understand, my weekness is the dill-vinegar-pickled cucumber...

I made Korean-style chicken wings and if I make some meat dish I usually make a big pot of soup too. The weather is nice dark, cold and rainy outside [therefore the streets are empty and quiet at last] so a bowl of hot tasty soup is always a good idea.

Dakkangjung or Sweet And Crispy Chicken is the best wing dish [for me] beside the ever-favourite Hungarian kind. In Hungary if they say "I make some chicken wings", mostly mean they make fried chicken wings, although there are a couple of wing recipes beside this. As Japanese people use 'panko' to bread the meat, fish, crab or vegetables, we also have our bread, the 'zsemlemorzsa'/breadcrumb [made from the standard Hungarian bread roll, 'zsemle'] but we only use it at meats.

This is how to make the Rántott Csirkeszárny/Hungarian Fried Chicken Wings:
Wash the wings thoroughly [10 or as many as you want] but don't cut them into two. Salt them and add a little black pepper as well. Then set three soup plates and pour flour in the first, some eggs [scramble them with a fork] in the second and in the third one breadcrumbs [any kind you're country has, but if you can get Hungarian kind breadcrumb, definitely use that instead]. So get a wing and cover it with flour first, then egg and finally with the breadcrumb. Fry out the wings in deep hot sunflower oil. Fry them until they are deep golden brown on both side.
The best with mashed potatoes, fried onion and vinegar-pickled cucumbers. Put a little nutmeg/mace in the mashed potato! ~Yummy
I think I heard somewhere once that Woopi Goldberg's favourite is the Hungarian Fried Chicken. I don't know whether this is true or not, but sounds funny.

So about the menu of this weekend, I made Sweet And Crispy Chicken Wings. It's a kind of fried chicken variation in a hot and sweet sirup with much peanut and sesame seed... You must try it once! It's dope, as a today teenager would say... Recipe is from my favourite Korean recipe blogger, that Maangchi lady. I tried many of her recipes [except the octopus included ones - no.1 holy animal you know]. She is awesome!
Instead of corn syrup I used rice+agave syrups, because these are somewhat healthier, but it worked.

But before the wings… I made my favourite Tofu Stew with Shiitake and much Spring onion
Recipe is from another favourite blogger, Jaden Hair. I skipped the meat because I don't like to eat that much meat in one time. The wings are enough for me now.

I'm really into Asian culinary and beside the Indian, Chinese, Thai and some of the Japanese I really like the Korean dishes too. On Budapest there are some Korean restaurants now, but one or two looks a little exclusive to me [not the street-food price category], but I can find many authentic recipes on the net and the special ingredients are available in Hungary and cooking is also chilling to me not just the eating. I would travel too to these beautiful countries one day, but until I will have the money [probably never] I travel with their gastronomy, music [not pop!], history and at Japan and Korea, with their tv doramas… I can't help it, I really enjoy their crime and horror series beside their movies. In my opinion the Korean horror is more "watchable" but Japanese makes good exciting/sometimes thrilling or disturbing crimes [after England]. 

Good Day To You!/Szép napot nektek!