Monday 9 May 2016

May Queen Of Veszprém

The first festival was held in Veszprém last week from 2 to 8. This festival is the Gizella napok/Giselle Days. Giselle was our first queen, the wife of Stephen I of Hungary [who I wrote about many times last year]. Our city town was dedicated to her because this was her favourite place [probably this place was more fun in the Middle Ages than today], so since then this city town is called Királynék városa/City of Queens. The meaning of this festival beside the many galleries in the castle and the folk concerts is the big folk art fair. Artisans and craftsmen come from all part of the country from Eastern-Hungary to Székelyföld/old Transylvania [now part of Romania].

It was really stunning and there were many but really MANY tourists... Unbelievable how my town is soo dead in Autumn and Winter and how crowdy can be on Spring/Summer… although I don't really like the crowd I love fairs and I'm glad that I could mingle in the foreigner crowd at last without meeting with familiar people from Veszprém…
I love folk art especially the beautiful ceramics. I have my favourite, the Szilágyi kerámia/Szilágyi Ceramics, what is a family busines from Szentendre, next to Budapest. I was on this fair only a coulple of years ago due to I lived on budapest for years, so I waited this year to buy someting from this ceramic family. I don't like their traditional works I only love their folk tale inspired kitchen set. So yesterday I bought this cute plate with a cute witch

and a mug with a naughty frog-roaster witch. Ah yesterday afternoon was nice.. watching Kiki with the company of a Kürtös kalács [Chimney cake?] and my new mug
The Hungarian twisted magic!

'Vitéz Kürtös' makes the tastiest ones, the sugar on the outside is perfectly crispy. They came from Székelyföld and on bigger European folk festivals they are there. So search for the 'Vitéz' title and you will know they are "us". Try the cinnamon spiced one once, it's great!

I was with a friend in the fair, who will get marry this Saturday. Yeah I'm invited too... She is my friend and she has happened to meet the right guy [actually a very nice guy], so I'm happy about her. And the party? According to her there will be plenty of food so probably I will survive somehow [the little fox with an enormous full plate in the corner that will be me...] Hahaha She knows I'm not really into marriage parties but I don't want to hurt her of course...
So it was a really hot day, we drank a glass of raspberry-orange lemonade. I never tried this match before, it was delicious. At home I just squeeze a lemon and drink it as it is Haha I'm a barbaric drinker without any trimmings Hahaha
And about the evening I bought a bottle of 'Varga' red wine. 'Varga' winery is pretty popular in Hungary. It's also a family business but from the Balaton area. If I drink wine I only drink medium sweet one, so I just know this, but it's very good and tasty. Thats all I can say about a wine Hahaha but probably all of their wines are as good as this was.

Good Day!/Szép napot!