Wednesday 19 April 2017

[Un]Happy Easter… Well, Partly.

After six years of being a happy bunny mommy - when Easter was more fun - I was a bit bored this time… Don't misunderstand me, I hate that Easter maddness around those poor white bunnies in the supermarkets, waiting for "adoption", but half of those poor creations usually end in the streets, or on the Easter table as free meat or in a spoiled brat's hands or a coat for next Winter... the list of the horrible death of those bunnies is just as endless as the human selfishness itself. The leftover is usually end in the zoo, where they will become snake "yummies", but only after the holidays, when noone cares yet… NO. I just liked the idea that I have a bunny fellow around this time of the year too, especially because I'm not celebrating the liturgical kind of Easter, but rather the pagan 'Ostara & co. with fluffy bunnies' version. I like Spring, especially Spring rain, but I don't mind if there is good weather with birds and butterflies and flowers, beautiful trees and clouds until it's somewhat quiet outside [no shrieking kids ONLY birds...] or it's not Summer, when noone can breathe normally from the 100°C… I hate Summer, especially in this town. Anyway. So beside I was cooking and watched some of "Aqua’s favourites" I was really bored… and somewhat lonely without her hopping, cheery company.
I coulnd't decide yet whether I bring home a new baby bunny or not. She left a bigger void in my wretched heart then I believed. Well, maybe next year…
or not.

So I cooked.
Although I'm very eclectic in the kitchen, so I usually cook whatever I just want in the certain moment through the year, but as long as my mom lives [I hope for a long time] I certainly stay traditional on the Holidays.
I think last year I wrote something about a typical Hungarian Easter dinner [Saturday], what more or less but the same in many families still today. The dinner is usually contains: the Easter ham [a special marinated and boiled ham], fresh seasonal vegetables and fruits, boiled eggs, horseradish and of course the kalács [sweet plaited loaf].
The serving is a bit posh I know… Relax, I'm not some 1950's housewife-type lunatic, definitely NOT, I just wanted to make my mom happy. My dad used to decorate the Easter table with care, so I think it's my turn to carry on his tradition for a while. It was not a big work, about 10-15 minutes the whole decoration to make…

So Hungarians eat this veggie-ham-kalács combo on Saturday evening, but eat whatever they like on Sunday and Easter Monday.
That
's why I chose a Jane Austen menu.
???
Literary cookbooks are fun, although I
'm not a fan of Miss Austen's world, due to I dislike romantic literature. I know she was more like a romantic-realist but I can't help it. When I was a teen I liked to watch the tv version of the Pride and Prejudice but that was all. And instead of other girls I never wanted a Mr. Darcy-type man for myself like many girls and women do still today. What I never understood, because – and now my feminism here or there – but many girls today are everything but Elizabeth Bennet… Me neither. And if I think into it, sometimes I'm more like Darcy when he is in that village Dance or whatever in the beginning of the story when he behaves like a stuck-up jerk. Especially when I have to be in a company I really dislike… Hahhaha 

So a couple of years ago my friend visited my other friend in England and they were in the Jane A. Museum and bought me this book, because they knew I like classic English food too [beside cooking]. I don
't know whether you can buy this book on Amazon or not, but if you are into Austen things you will love this. The illustrations are cute too.
I chose among the recipes the liver loaf, because I usually make something chicken or duck liver dish at Easter. It's from chicken liver, bread, milk, egg and some other ingredients. The recipe doesn't say certain seasonings and spices, so I used marjoram and rosemary. I never seasoned liver with rosemary, pity, because they make a very good match! 
That scones are from potato. Actually puree with flour, butter, salt, leek and nutmeg, then you make scones with your hands and fried them out in a greased pan on both sides. Easy to make and yummy even just in itself!

The dessert was another interesting new taste for me. It looked like I make a simple orange-butter cake, but the recipe said, put some ground cummin/caraway seeds and nutmeg in it. At first hearing it sounded strange for me, but ohhohoho it was great!!! Sugar-orange glaze on the top. 

Summarized: So at least I ate a good again.

By the way, it's snowstorm outside!!!! Hohohohoo or what the heck now?! It's April for god sakes...
The new symbol of the Hungarian Easter should be, a bunny with Santa hat…  
On 22nd will be the international Earth Day. I don't know what I could say to our Lady Planet. Maybe: Please accept my deepest sympathy. We are both on the same opinion about humans. …and yeah after these years a certain trumper guy still can says that global warming is a hoax… funny, isn't it?

Good Day!/Szép napot!